A layer-by-layer demonstration of FX/ Foley edit and final mix on Justin Staggs' short film "Elixir". Here we see the process of building a sound design for the moment where our heroine stands up and ignites her magic powers to face off with a demon. I made sure that the droney “idling mode” of her hand energy drone was in tune with the score, to give us a comforting sense of “she’s got this”. The crackling electricity layer lent a dangerous edge to the potential energy.
Filtering by Tag: soundeffects
Another day at the office— assorted implements for blue-sky FX development.
Playing around with some varied synth voices on a new project. The recipe cards that come with the Arturia Microbrute-- those perforated orange sheets behind the keyboard in one of the images (you put them over the console, and they’re marked up to direct knob-twiddling for the creation of certain timbres)-- allow for templates I can tweak for further editing of unique voices. Pretty cool. I’ve also looked up some patches on mbpatches.com, and originally I was noting each URL I cribbed from for recall, but I wound up tweaking them all so much that eventually I didn’t even bother with that. Instead, the photo documentation of knob settings (plus post-it note to remind me of modulation actions) in the other image depicts the high-tech method I’m using in case I ever have to recall any of those. And of course, none of this is just an excuse to mess around with my synth. No siree Bob. Not a chance.